Monday, August 3, 2009

Melky hits for the cycle!

The moment his fly ball sailed over Jermaine Dye's head, there was no way Melky Cabrera was settling for a double.

Needing a triple to complete the cycle, Cabrera lowered his head and ran as hard as he could, beating the throw to third to make history.

"After I got the double, home run and base hit, I knew the triple would do it," Cabrera said through an interpreter. "When the ball went over Jermaine Dye's head, I knew I had a chance. I started running even harder. I was thinking triple."

It was just the 15th cycle in Yankees history, and the first since Tony Fernandez did it on Sept. 3, 1995, against the A's in the Bronx. The last Yankee to record a cycle on the road was Joe DiMaggio, who did it in 1948, also in Chicago.

- NY Daily News

No comments:

Post a Comment