Friday, January 21, 2011

The Most Badass Wheelchair EVER

A DISABLED man has been stopped from using his specially-made wheelchair because British road authorities say it's a tank.

Jim Starr, 36, was told by the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DLVA) he cannot ride his specially-made chair, which has caterpillar-treads instead of wheels, because its size and width technically make it a tank.

Jim says he has already driven the custom-made vehicle across snow, sand and even into the surf of his local beach.

"The whole idea of the chair was that I could go down to the beach with the kids," Jim said.

"It is a fantastic machine and can take me anywhere I want to go. It has no limits."
Jim, a former landscape gardener from Dorchester, Dorset, said he had hoped the chair would give him more freedom to go outdoors with his wife Emma, son Leo, eight, and daughter Skye, four.

"I used to be someone who was very into outdoor pursuits before I had to use a wheelchair and I had hoped the tracks would mean I could get back out and do the kinds of think I used to love doing."

The chair is controlled using a special joystick on the arm, is run by a 24-volt motor battery with a top speed of 12km/h.

Click HERE for the story

No comments:

Post a Comment